No matter what time of year it is, your home may be home to more than just your family. Each year, new types of pests are looking to be your secret roommate, rent-free. Although your house may be spotless, if you have a crawlspace, you can have a serious infestation that you do not know about.
Why Your Crawlspace Invites Pests
There are many reasons why your crawlspace is a pest’s dream home like the moisture, insufficient airflow, food and shelter from larger animals. The heat from the insulation makes it warm, and for smaller pests, it is easy to access.
These pests can become a severe fire and safety hazard, including the possible diseases they may bring, like rabies, salmonella and other bacteria or viruses. Due to these issues, you need to know what you may have crawling in the dark under your feet.
The Six Common Pests
These are the six most common pests that invade crawlspaces:
- Termites: One in every 30 houses are infested with termites yearly, costing around $30 billion in the United States alone. They can be undetected for years, causing extensive damage to your home.
- Rodents: One mouse can begin reproducing in one month, up to seven times a year! They also leave a scent trail for other rodents, inviting them into your house, and can bring along bacteria and viruses with them.
- Spiders: The telltale signs of a spider infestation is cobwebs. Although cobwebs are usually abandoned, it can be unnerving to think about where their old inhabitants may be hiding, or waiting to bite you.
- Ants: Ants can create just as much damage as termites do. They cover the ground in beds and can attack whomever is on top of them. In addition, a worker ant can morph into a queen that can live for 25 years.
- Wasps: Wasps can gather in the corners and build huge nests before they are detected. They are quick to sting if they feel threatened, and don’t care if you may be allergic.
- Beetles: Beetles are the least threatening pest to your health, but are threatening to your house. Just like termites, they love to chew on wood, and can cause severe structural damage.
What to do About Crawlspace Pests
Your best course of action when you see pests in your home is to contact professional pest removal experts. Sorenson Pest Control personalizes their services to their customers’ needs and provides immediate solutions to make your house stay pest-free. Contact us for more information.